DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTING AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Welcome to the Department of computing and Information Technology at Uganda Technical College (UTC) Bushenyi. Computer Science and Information Technology is an exciting and rapidly changing discipline, and students at UTC Bushenyi have the opportunity to upgrade and study bachelors courses in the following;
- i) Information Technology for those who did Arts at A-level.
- ii) Data Communications and Networks for those who did Science at A-level.
- iii) Business computing for those who did Economics or Entrepreneurship at A-level.
- iv) Information Systems
- v) Any other related course.
This National Diploma in Information and Communication Technology (NDICT) curriculum is aimed at producing graduates of technical diplomas who are relevant to the industry and world of work. It is learner-centred, competence-based and emphasizes practical teaching, projects and acquisition of skills by the learners. The examining body is Uganda Business Technical Examinations Board (UBTEB).
The curriculum is in line with the Business Technical Vocational Educational Training (BTVET) strategic plan of "skilling Uganda" and BTVET act of 2008. The competences that the learners are expected to acquire are clearly spelt out in each module covered every semester.
This curriculum effectively produces Technical ICT professionals who are able to:
- i) Conceptualize, design and maintain websites.
- ii) Repair computers and their accessories.
- iii) Troubleshoot hardware and software problems.
- iv) Design, maintain, use and backup databases.
- v) Setup and maintain networks.
- vi) Write codes of application programmes.
Duration of the programs
This is a fulltime program taking two years, that is, four semesters. Students have a choice either to be resident or non-resident.
A candidate shall be eligible for admission to the National Diploma in Information and Communication Technology programme on meeting any of the following minimum qualifications:
- a) Advanced Level Entry Scheme
At least One Principal Pass obtained at the same sitting of the Advanced Level Examinations with credits in Mathematics and English at Ordinary Level as a must or its equivalent.
Certificate Entry Scheme
Ordinary Level Certificate with at least 6 credits and at least a six months Certificate in a Computer related course from a recognized institution of higher learning with at least one year of working experience.
- b) Diploma Entry Scheme
At least a Pass diploma in any Physical Sciences, Business and any other related programmes from a recognised institution.
- c) Graduate Entry Scheme
A degree in any Physical Sciences, Business and any other related programmes from a recognised institution.