UTC – Bushenyi is Under the MOES, BTVET department, governed in accordance with the Universities and Other Tertiary Institutions Act, 2001 (As Amended in, 2003 And as Amended in, 2006). The appointment of the Governing Council and its business, the appointment and disciplining of staff, appointment of the Academic Board and financial management guidelines are spelt out in the Act.
The Act does offer an indirect form of autonomy in which the Academic Board shall, subject to the provisions of this Act have the following powers and duties;
- To satisfy itself regarding the content and academic standard of any course of study in respect of any award of the Tertiary Institution and report to the Governing Council;
- To initiate proposals relating to the conduct of the institution generally, and to discuss any matter relating to the institution and to make submission to the Governing Council;
- To propose regulations to be made by the Governing Council regarding the eligibility of persons for admission to any course of study provided by or under the supervision of the institution;
- To propose regulations to be made by the Governing Council regarding the standard of proficiency to be gained in each examination for any award;
- To decide which persons have reached the standard of proficiency referred to in paragraph (d) and fit for any award;
- To initiate, prepare, evaluate and submit academic programmes for the institution.
COMPOSITION OF THE GOVERNING COUNCIL
The governing council is composed of 16 members, namely;
- One person representing a Public University to which the Institution is affiliated.
- One person who has made personal contributions to the Development of Nation.
- One person who has made personal contribution to the development of Technology.
- One Person representing Uganda Institution of Professional Engineers (UIPE).
- One representative for the Ministry of Works and Transport.
- Two representatives for Academic staff.
- One representative for Non teaching staff.
- Three students representing the students’ Guild.
- One representative of the Alumni.
- One representative of Bushenyi District Local Government.
- One representative for the Ministry of Education and Sports.
- Principal and
- Deputy Principal of the College.
FUNCTIONS OF THE GOVERNING COUNCIL
The functions of the Governing Council are spelt out in the Universities and Other Tertiary Institutions Act 2001 (as amended in 2003 and 2006).
To exercise the general management of the affairs of the Tertiary Institution and exercise general control of the property of the institution. The Governing Council may acquire and hold movable or immovable property as may be necessary for carrying into effect the provisions of this Act and may sell, lease, mortgage or dispose of any property.
The Council has four Committees;
- Appointments committee
- Finance committee
- Planning & development committee
- Students’ Affairs committee
APPOINTMENT OF GOVERNING MEMBERS
The members of the Governing Council are nominated by the respective constituencies on request by the College, and appointed by the Minister of Education and Sports. The structure of the College is currently linked to the MoES and without a direct link to the industries or employers. The Chairperson of the Governing Council reports to the Minister of Education and Sports.
UTC – Bushenyi is managed by the Principal who is the Accounting Officer of the College and reports to the Governing council and the Commissioner BTVET. The College has a Top Management Committee comprising of nine members,
- The Deputy Principal
- Academic Registrar
- Dean of students
- Bursar (Accountant)
- Senior Accounts Assistant
- Institution Relations Officer
- Human Resource Officer
The College also has Academic & Non Academic departments and sections, an Academic Board to manage training affairs, Contracts Committee to manage procurement, and a Disciplinary Committee.